Dry Space

Asteroid Space Prototype


This is a prototype I made for the week of September 7, 2014 using Unreal Engine 4.

The experience this week with UE4 was much better. I just stuck to blueprints so I wouldn't have to deal with how slow it is compiling, and that decision turned out to be a good one. I got much better with blueprints. There were some things I could not access, like the name of a component to test if it's the correct one for a collision, but there are "tags" that I could access.

One of the biggest things I learned was some performance debugging. Mostly the `profilegpu` command, which in the editor (PIE, play-in-editor) causes a nice visualization of the time it takes to do things. And I found that each asteroid was clearing the buffer for two draw calls. Just because they are all separate objects. So to increase performance I found that I could instance the mesh in a single object, but then I lose things like physics.